Monday, September 10, 2012

Eleven Years Ago

Eleven years ago, I was sitting here just like this, poking around on the computer.  I had walked home from the auto repair shop where I had dropped off the van for repairs after dropping our middle son off at high school.  Bob took our youngest to his private school in Fort Worth, where he was taking special classes for dyslexia.

As I watched events unfold, and heard radio reports, I was able to find tiny postage stamp size coverage online, and walked into our backyard to tell Bob's brother, studying in our little house, that a tower had fallen.  He dropped me off at the repair shop and then headed to his in-laws house as he wanted to see coverage on a tv.  We did not have a tv at the time, trying to focus on the boys reading skills, and trying to control the garbage on tv to impressionable young minds.

Our firstborn was a sophomore in college...band member in one of the most patriotic colleges, in the ROTC program.  I was not worried about him.  But, knowing we were now at war, it would not be long before his upper classmen were sent to meet this enemy of radical islam over there.  I was so thankful our new president had a military background and respected the advice of his military admirals and generals. 

Remember how quiet the skies were that next week?  Remember the stories that came out of the events---stories of heros and selfless bravery.  I could not get enough.  Even last year, on the Tenth Anniversary, I learned so much from the stories.  These stories should be taught in our schools, but sadly, the schools have been hyjacked by teachers unions, liberal professors and teaching to look good on tests rather than history.  And since we are not learning from history, we are doomed to repeat the mistakes. 

Eleven years later: I am a grannie of four beautiful, healthy grandchildren.  Two of my sons are captains! They have both done funeral duty.  One more than the other.  We are empty nesters.  I can no longer make 4 mile long hikes on a beautiful September morning.  Sometimes my hip gives out. I move slower.  I need larger font. 

I am concerned that people are allowed to come live here without proper screening.  We should only allow people to live here that embrace our God given freedom. rights. justice. the desire to live respecting the religion of others. Our borders should be secure.

I am concerned that our leaders are afraid to declare a purpose, a mission in Iraq, and Afghanistan.  Did we learn nothing from Vietnam?  There should be consequences for killing our soldiers---especially, the soldiers trying to train them to govern themselves.   Eleven years out, we have all lost friends and relatives over there.  My husband has a cousin buried at Arlington in Virginia.   But, the media does not mention the fallen unless you live in their city. Where is the monument to the now over 6,000?  Are their stories, their acts of heroism being taught at school? 

No comments: