Monday, July 8, 2013

Can we substitute "earthly father" for "husband" ?

My earthly father may have abandoned me.
My heavenly Father adopts me (Rom. 8:15).

My earthly father may see me as a situation to manage.
My heavenly Father sees me as his daughter to redeem (Isa. 43:1).

My earthly father may lie.
My heavenly Father speaks the truth (Isa. 45:19).

My earthly father may be deceptive and dark.
My heavenly Father is light (1 John 1:5).

My earthly father may believe he’s perfect.
My heavenly Father is perfect (2 Sam. 22:31).

My earthly father may demand perfection from me.
My heavenly Father gifts Jesus’ perfection to me (2 Cor. 5:21).

My earthly father may be selfish.
My heavenly Father selflessly gives me his Son (Rom. 6:23).

My earthly father may want glory for himself.
My heavenly Father deserves all glory (Rev. 5:13).

My earthly father may judge me.
My heavenly Father is the only judge (Isa. 33:22).

My earthly father may want to be king.
My heavenly Father is the King of kings (Rev. 19:16).

My earthly father may want me to pay for my sin.
My heavenly Father provides Jesus as payment for my sin (1 John 4:10).

My earthly father may accept separation.
My heavenly Father brings me near (Eph. 2:13).

My earthly father may place a burden on me.
My heavenly Father put my burden on Jesus (Col. 2:14).

My earthly father may ignore me.
My heavenly Father hears me (Ps. 10:17).

My earthly father may not truly know me.
My heavenly Father not only knows me, but he designed me (Ps. 139:13–16).

My earthly father may have mistreated or abused me.
My heavenly Father is my refuge (Ps. 18:2).

My earthly father may scare me.
My heavenly Father’s love casts out fear (1 John 4:18).

My earthly father may be unpredictable.
My heavenly Father is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Heb. 13:8).

My earthly father’s love may be based on my performance.
My heavenly Father loves me despite my performance (Eph. 2:4–5, 8).

My earthly father may not value me.
My heavenly father sees me clothed in the image of Jesus (Rom. 8:29).

You are the loved daughter of the perfect Father, and nothing will ever change that. So then, it is safe to look the wounds from your earthly father in the face. Psalm 30:2 declares, “O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.” Tell him your hurts, your fears, your pain. Though he already knows them, there is healing in bringing to light those deep places of your heart (Eph. 5:11–14).

There is this dangerous hour or two---before church, when your husband is putting the final edits to his Sunday school lesson (or for the preacher's wife---his sermon) and the enemy is extra busy.  Snark happens, and while he may regret what he said when/if the HS convicts him, you are laid low.  sad.  Having to hear and be humbled, but to the point of suicide or divorce?  Instead, handle it with humor and realize that as you lean on Jesus to be like Jesus to submit and be subject to, He never heard His Heavenly Father say what your husband just threw at you.   Enjoy!

My earthly father died in March.  And guess what.  He was an earthly father.  He was not perfect.   But, now he is.  And while I can do this list for/with my Dad, I read somewhere that we marry a guy like our Dad in some/many ways.  I arrogantly think I rejected my first three boyfriends because they reminded me of negative things about my Dad. 

My Dad never enjoyed the phyco-babble and to dredge up stuff to him meant I had not forgiven.  We kinda held each other at arms length in the final years.  But, I was so thankful to be there the week he died.  It was an awesome experience.  I never want to forget how he saw something we could not see.  He wanted to get up and go there!  

(I need to credit the list to another site. I need to go find her name. I would not want you to think I came up with the list. ha)

No comments: