Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Nothing is open

Christmas Day reminds me of every Sunday when I was a kid. The only thing open is the occasional self-serve gas station, and a seven-eleven type store. We actually got in the car and took a little drive before dark. Only on this day once a year do we see even the McDonalds closed and empty. And the 24-hour a day Wal-marts--what a contrast to yesterday when every parking spot was full, and I had second thoughts about buying that cornmeal.

I love Wal-mart. They are bad-mouthed in the press and envied by liberals, but they gainfully employ vast numbers of people, and because of the great turn over of products, that box of Sun-Maid raisins I bought is fresh and the raisins are plump and good compared to the very same box and brand purchased at Tom Thumb or Kroger---my other two haunts---but their boxes of Sun-Maid raisins are old and turned to sugar and only good for cooking.

No comments: