Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Fantastic Easy Cobbler

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/08/the_great_cobbl/

Go now to Pioneer Woman's page, as she has pictures, and directions and everything.

I'll wait.

This recipe looked ridiculously easy. And I happened to have all the ingredients.

Now, I did not have self rising flour, but by googling, you can see that self rising flour just has baking powder added to it, and salt---easily done.

And I don't keep white sugar in our house no more. Not since the baby flew the nest.

And it is just me and Bob these days, so I had to cut the recipe in half!

And i cooked mine in four small cute pyrex dishes, so that when I ate one, Bob won't know, and Bob will still have a desert bowl all his own at supper.

And since I ate all the blackberries at breakfast, I used a jar of simply blueberries instead. yes, blueberry jam or jelly. what a wonderful way to use up the last bits of jelly or jam! I think this will work for strawberry jam, or any fruit! wow

It is so good. hot or cold. whipped cream or plain. And in the small little heavyily buttered pyrex bowls, it only took 50 minutes to cook. not the hour.

When we use our ovens here in Texas in the summer, we have to confess our sins. So fifty minutes is better than one hour.

My Adaptation of Pioneer Woman's Cobbler:

1/2 stick of butter microwaved in a glass pyrex measuring cup my son, James gave me for Christmas

in the bigger 4 cup pyrex measuring cup, mix: 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teas. salt---mix with hand held whisk, then add: 1/2 cup milk, and the melted butter. mix batter.

pour batter into four small pyrex bowls that have been heavily buttered.

drop in dollops of frest fruit or frozen fruit or jam or jelly. gently cover dollops with batter if you want to. sprinkle with sugar and bake for 40-50 minutes at 350 degrees or until the cobbler bounces back when touched. Yum.

6pm update: Bob found it so sweet he could not finish his serving, so I had to help him. I will need to cut back the sugar next time....or have to eat it all myself.

It tastes good plain. And what a neat way to use up jams and jellies. I used to sneak jams and jellies into muffins. With just the two of us, we don't use up a small jar of jam or jelly fast enough. And with enough tiny samples from Cracker Barrel, you could make quite a bit ! Next time we have a huge crowd to feed, or a church supper...

1 comment:

Bag Blog said...

She came and spoke at a luncheon here in Duncan not too long ago, but I missed it. I hear her book is great.