Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lots going on...and I don't want to complain...

The plymouth was fixed and no charge as the problem was related to whatall they had done earlier in the week. Whew.

The insulation in attic project got postponed because our son, Ben's work picked up. We are so happy for him. It was so fun to hear Ben talk Friday night at Cracker Barrel---he was so excited to have a worker as diligent and ready to learn as he had been. Ben would rather just do the jobs, as stopping and teaching takes time. The new, good worker, literally took tools out of Ben's hands and wanted to learn. That is great. Ben said they got a whole system fininshed, and had more lined up, so no days off until another rainy day. Our attic can wait. There may come a time when it is too hot to get up in the attic, but we can store the bales of insulation in the little house for the summer if we had to.

James and Amber called inviting us up there we did! We drove up Saturday morning, and stayed overnight for the first time on Fort Sill proper. What fun! Amber showed me how to make chicken enchalladas. They were delicious. And we checked out Geronimo's grave, and Mount Scott. We slept in their guest room in a bed we had helped haul months ago. It was very comfortable. I loved hearing the bugle calls---at night, at 11pm, and again at 7:30am and 8am... so cool.

After church with them, we ate at an El Chico in the mall, and while backing out of our parking spot, Bob and a huge ford 150 truck collided. His bumper grabbed ours and tore off the skin of the van's passenger side bumper. We exchanged numbers, and went on, as it was driveable. I hardly saw any damage at all on the truck.

I think Amber found Geronimo's gravesite creepy. But, the same river rocks that look like cannon balls are piled up in a pyramid to mark his grave---same river rocks that they use for building materials at Medicine Park near by. The cemetary is off by the river with a plack which describes how these were prisoners of war---Apaches captured in Arizona, hauled to Florida and Alabama and then brought to Fort Sill, Oklahoma where they worked on farms, and some of their descendents became scouts for the Army and are buried closer to the main post. Some of the stones in the prisoner of war cemetary had children--seven, eight years old, one 15 year old girl--how in the world was she a prisoner of war?? What a hard scrabble life they lead. Lots of women--wives of Chief _____ or daughter or sister. Looks like the cemetary was remodeled in the sixties---using the same granite headstones we reserve for our active duty, retired, and veteran soldiers.

No comments: