Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cats and the View Outside My Window

What is it with the cats this time of year? Rain or fog or bright spring day, the male cats have decided my backyard is a good place to mark their territory, bask in the sun, have standoffs and stare downs with other male cats, and woo the lady cats from next door. Our cat stays inside because she is fixed and hates other cats and there is way too much drama going on out there. Even when she thinks she wants out and gets all pitiful by the door, one dash outside and she wants back in.

One majestic male, we named Phantom of the Opera because of the markings on his face. He is dressed in a brown tuxedo, too. He seems to score the most hits when you view the kittens from next door. A new black male has ventured into the yard. Sleek. Easily hidden in the shadows, but I could tell form Phantom's body language that there was another male around. The striped bushy tailed brown brother of the prolific patches kitty watches from our front yard shade. Patches, the momma, also has a few daughters from last year's litter that patrol the yard. One unfortunately has a Hitler-mustache face. Another has the Boy Scout mark in grey on her long haired white coat. Rare are the glimpses of the third one that I think the neighbors call, Cookie.

I wonder if all the males take time out of their love making to hunt mice and rats?

I have to keep the garage doors shut because the neighborhood cats love to mark inside the garage. And I don't dare leave lawn furniture out on the patio. A bag of fancy cat litter sitting open in the garage helps keep it smelling sweet just in case.

6 comments:

ShalomSeeker said...

There is always much drama in the feline world, no? Glad to hear your baby has more sense than to get involved! :-)

joyce said...

I think Phantom is in love with my squeaky dryer ! It keeps walking around the outside of the garage moo-ing. Too bad this is not the hanger load.

joyce said...

And I forgot to mention the blazen doves...and oak tree strands of pollen even...

My back yard is getting to be positively x-rated.

ShalomSeeker said...

Y'all need to get some CURTAINS! :-) LOL!!

joyce said...

You are right ! Time to shut the curtains on all the activity. At one point today, our Sallycat insisted on sitting on my chest. I had to put down the knitting, and shift so my chest was more level. I guess she needed comforting with all the drama outside. I dunno.

Bob said...

I love the fact that we no longer have to depend on that annoying buzzer to tell us when the clothes are dry. When we can no longer hear the squeaking, the dryer has stopped.