Monday, August 11, 2008

Three Black Jack Oaks Gone

A guy with a pickup showed up at my door this morning, asking to take down the three dead trees out front. He quoted a very reasonable price, in my opinion, so I agreed.

I don't know if lightening killed them or what, but for the last few years, we have watched the tops die, then woodpeckers weaken them further, and in the last storm, the top half of the tops broke off. Good to have it down before it falls on a car.

Ben called from Alpine, Texas. He is out there installing solar systems at the college there, and he and his buddy had just walked up a mountain, and enjoyed a curious hummingbird. I am glad he thought to call us. Sixty degrees there and rain.

I think it rained all around us---but none here so far. It was cooler today, and did not get above 100 for the first time in weeks. But, I got good and sweaty sweeping up sticks from the gutter.

I taunted Bob with the surprise---of getting the dead trees down. Now if someone will just show up and quote me a good price on putting a new roof on the house...

No comments: