Sunday, December 13, 2009

Easiest Cream Biscuits Ever!

Wow. Have I found my new favorite biscuit recipe!! wow.

First, let me say, I am not a good biscuit maker. I like to make bread. So, my pie dough leaves a lot to be desired, too, as I handle it too much. But, I ran across this recipe for biscuits that is just a dream to make! And if I can do it, then you know you can, too!!

One problem I had with biscuits is the incorporating the butter/lard/fat/oil into the flour. Messy! These cream biscuits skip that step because the fat is already in the cream.

I will post the recipe here, but first dust the cobwebs off your rolling pin. Then get a good mixing bowl and measure in two cups of flour. And the recipe calls for a tablespoon of sugar, but I used three, and brown, as its the old sugar I keep around here. But white sugar will do. Add a tablespoon of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and mix the flour and sugar and baking powder and salt together. It is a dry mixture. Won't get your hands too dirty. or use a spoon or whisk.

the next part is the fun part. You will have had to go to the store that carries heavy cream. This time of year, that does not always mean Tom Thumb nor Kroger or even Walmart. I have found a stash of the heavy cream by Promised Land at our neighborhood Whole Foods. Dump the whole container of cream into the flour. One and a half cups. Mix. It mixes beautifully. Does not stick to the bowl. Dust your counter with flour, and dust your rolling pin and roll out the dough. It makes 12 huge ones. (depending on how thick or thin you roll them) You can brush the tops with melted butter if you like. cook at 400 degrees for 15 or 20 minutes, or until done. Recipe says they freeze well.

This dough would be great for little hands to play with, too, as the cream stays cold and it is a great texture. I have never had so much fun making biscuits.


Cream Biscuits

3 T butter melted and set aside in a bowl for brushing the tops
preheat oven to 400 to 425

2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1 T sugar
1 and 1/2 cups heavy cream (Promised Land is what I used)

425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.

I wonder if my grandmothers or great grandmothers ever tried these? So simple. And my grandmother on the farm always had lots of cream when they milked cows.

These biscuits are very, very close to a cookie on a stick cookie I like at our cookie bouquet place. Maybe if I play with the recipe some more---add more sugar, and reduce the baking powder, and roll thinner, they might work as a Christmas cookie you can ice! My mom had a complicated Christmas cookie recipe that called for sour cream. That is what reminded me as the texture is close. But, the biscuits turn out light and fluffy with a great crumb. The biscuits rose beautifully with little cracks in the top. I had layered melted butter in the scraps one using up all the dough. It tasted great with honey!

No comments: