Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Live Blogging the Artic Blast

The dire warnings have come true. Right after midnight, the wind turned around. Rain is hitting the north windows. I think our high was 47 for the day. It was suppose to get up to fifty, but I don't think it did.

Cloudy conditions all day and south winds...so we will see how this condenses and falls as rain or snow. Bob covered the whirlybirds with black heavy plastic bags and bungees.

Sallycat is sleeping under the computer desk. Usually she sleeps at the foot of our bed, so this is strange.

This has been the 1am report. The temp is suppose to drop into the teens and not get above freezing now until Saturday. Will the front shrubs survive? Will ice form on the bridges? Will Bob have to scrape the windshield? These questions and more....stay tuned.

7:49 am This may be my last post for a while because I am watching the power lines spark next door above Pedro's two story playhouse. The strong winds are pushing the tree branches into the powerline causing a pop, spark and fireworks. So, it may be just a matter of time before we lose power. I have a battery operated radio.

noon: so thankful the power is still on. the sky is clearing. Whoop! Looks so pretty outside. I don't know about you, but cold is easier to bear when the sun is shining in on the carpet warming up spots.

streets are dry. ice spots on plymouth windshield all gone. dry. I may venture out. I have a package to take by the post office.

Sallycat is sleeping a lot in the sun patches on the carpet. She reminds me of the kitty we lost to the sleepy disease. We had Sallycat vaccinated against it after losing that kitty with the best personality, but either the vaccination did not work, or it has worn off. And Sallycat would rather hang by her claw in your clothing than put weight on that back leg.

1:30pm tree trimmers just finished. so glad they came and took down the neighbor's branches that were rubbing the lines and making them spark. whew. wish they had done our oak tree under the line. nothing like the sound of chain saws to insure the lights will stay on. And it was so nice to talk to a person on the phone when I called the local power company. Now I wonder what prompted such quick action---sending the tree trimmers, my call to 911, the firemen calling the power company, or my calling the company?? or all of the above?

2 comments:

Bag Blog said...

We have not had any rain or snow, but it is cold and windy here.

Unknown said...

Be safe!
Stay warm!
~AM