Saturday, January 23, 2010

Pioneer Woman Pound Cake: Cherry Dr. Pepper Version

Pioneer Woman posted the scrumptious looking, easy pound cake. I was hungry for chocolate, so I made a few changes. And since I don't have a bundt cake pan, I used my angel food cake pan.

The Pioneer Woman Pound Cake

3 sticks of butter
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 each teas. lemon flavoring, rum/vanilla
3 cups flour
1 cup sprite or Canada Dry

bake 325 degrees for one hour and ten minutes

The Twilight or Chocolate version I made:

instead of lemon flavoring, I just used Watkins vanilla. big splash
instead of sprite or Canada Dry, I used Cherry Dr. Pepper
and I used half a cup of Hershey's unsweetened powdered chocolate

It turned out pretty good. A little leakage because of the angel food cake pan, so now I have chocolate lava formations on the bottom of my oven. Looks like chocolate cake poop.

Bob and I could not wait for that whole invert on a plate and let cool part. We ate ours steaming hot straight from the pan. Yum. Moist.

I wonder if a half-teaspoon of salt would help or hurt the next time?

And I used brown sugar, and you can smell or taste a hint of the cherry Dr. Pepper. No need for baking soda nor baking powder. I buttered the angel food cake pan, and the cake slips out easily. It is fun cooking with soda pop. And since it only calls for one cup, the leftover Dr. Pepper quenches the thirst of the busy cook. Next time I may cook it five or ten minutes more with the oven turned off just to make sure it is done. Pioneer Woman said until no longer jiggly.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds super yummy...I need something sweet!
~AM

j said...

I had to giggle at "chocolate cake poop" - that's my kind of humor!

My oven needs to be cleaned desperately. I'll get around to it one day.

midnitechef said...

Funny - cake poop! I have sweet potato barf in my oven. I never thought to use pop in a cake, sounds yummy!