Thursday, November 20, 2008

Music

I found this over at Gagdad Bob's site, One Cosmos. I just love it when someone puts into words why---and this just makes sense to me. Don't get me started on my beef against "praise" music at church, those seven-eleven songs of eleven words sung seven times.

But, I was raised on good music. Lots of classical. Lots of hymns. I could never understand rock or rock concerts. So here is the quote I stole from Gagdad Bob: Pope Benedict made a comment to the effect that rock music was narcissistic and "enclosing."

"I did find this comment by the Pope: "Rock [music] is the expression of elemental passions, and at rock festivals it assumes a cultic character, a form of worship, in fact, in opposition to Christian worship. People are, so to speak, released from themselves by the experience of being part of a crowd and by the emotional shock of rhythm, noise, and special lighting effects. However, in the ecstasy of having all their defenses torn down, the participants sink, as it were, beneath the elemental force of the universe." True as far as it goes, but there is nevertheless rock music that is liberating in an upward way, but much more that only liberates downward, and therefore enslaves."

I guess this would explain why alcohol and illegal drugs are used at rock concerts, too, in order to help lower inhibitions?

No wonder Jesus said to guard your heart, and ear gate, and bring into submission all thoughts to Him. I was so slow as a mom---when some of my sons leaned toward the bad music, I was mystified as to why they would go there. Escape? Peer pressure? We restricted access to it as long as we could. And even intercepted horrid music a cousin tried to slip them via cds.

Please put Your Song in my heart today, Lord. And thank you for helping me understand the subject of idolatry.

No comments: