Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tyler Perry's Movie is GREAT !

I have seen many of the plays on DVD.

So, to me, I understand the characters and how they have developed. The newest movie, Madea goes to Jail, is a continuation of the plays. And in movie form, they can spend more time on wigs, costumes, sets, and fun split screen magic.

I think Christians should support each other, and not shoot our own. I admire Tyler Perry's story, and rags to riches struggle, and how open and honest is he about lessons learned---for example, on a DVD he talked about how he learned the hard way to never let them film a movie at your house because it will be trashed. Movie making is very hard on the furniture.

Our local talk radio host just does not "get" the Tyler Perry movies, and hated it. I don't think he had ever seen a play, nor heard one of Tyler Perry's heart-to-heart talks after. Sad. But, I hope his negative ranting actually had the opposite affect---and made folks curious enough to go check it out. The movie shows consequences of bad decisions and bad behavior. And when I sat through it the first time with a full audience in south Arlington, the first weekend it was released, the audience added response---and James' fiancee explained that the character, "DD" or DeeDee is indeed a very famous comedy Hispanic actress. She was so fun to watch the second time through, too!!!

And Kiesha---wow. Bob agreed to go with me again last night, and he could not pick her out. She did a great job. Little Kiesha all grown up from the Cosby show. We went to a 5:30pm showing at Rave, and had the whole auditorium to ourselves except for one other couple. I wish we had waited to walk in after the previews---so many of them are downright scary.

Good job, Tyler Perry. I wish you all the success, and pray for your protection from inside and out. The only thing I wish you had added was letting Cora give the gospel---as the most sane, the most gentle and beautiful, or maybe the lady prison minister. Please make the gospel clear in your movies. Don't shy away from it. I miss Cora's singing, too. Thank you for the edgy-er lady prison minister---she makes you think.

It was funny to me to see 1962 on Madea's driver's license. Shouldn't she be older, like me?? I was born in 1956. And I still remember part of the sixties.

No comments: